Metal/Hard Rock Thread

Get2choppaaa

Orthodox
Heritage
I've been a long time metal head and seen several shows. Thought I'd create a thread to highlight some of the better, non Overtly Satanic bands out there.

Here is two I like:

Fractal Universe with deep lyrics, great guitars and excellent recording (their live album is excellent)

Between the Buried and Me is almost like Dream Theater in their extremely diverse swing of different genres.

Also, I've seen Megadeth, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Killswitch Engage (with OG Singer), Gwar and even got my old lady, who's a country Western and classic rock gal to see Opeth and Mastodon with me on their last joint tour.

If there's a metal band you're into go ahead and share here.

Trivium is a great band with a great discography

I would also recommend Meshuggah.

If anyone is into instrumental metal/rock I would recommend Animals As Leaders

Mastodon is heavy but had transitioned into more prog/rock now and it's just as good.

I've been a long time metal head and seen several shows. Thought I'd create a thread to highlight some of the better, non Overtly Satanic bands out there.

Here is two I like:

Fractal Universe with deep lyrics, great guitars and excellent recording (their live album is excellent)

Between the Buried and Me is almost like Dream Theater in their extremely diverse swing of different genres.

Also, I've seen Megadeth, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Killswitch Engage (with OG Singer), Gwar and even got my old lady, who's a country Western and classic rock gal to see Opeth and Mastodon with me on their last joint tour.

If there's a metal band you're into go ahead and share here.

Have you heard of Liquid Tension Experiment? It is Dream Theater but instrumental. They did a few albums in the 90s but they have reconvene again to make more music.

I too am a big metal listener, but after taking my faith seriously, I have been struggling with this as I now tend to prefer hymns and chants and classical music.

When I play Operh or other bands, I start by reminiscing the great tunes but after a short while the lyrics get to me and I am put off.
While not necessarily satanic, it is not christian either.
The notable exception being Sabaton who sing historically-centred themes…

I too am a big metal listener, but after taking my faith seriously, I have been struggling with this as I now tend to prefer hymns and chants and classical music.

When I play Operh or other bands, I start by reminiscing the great tunes but after a short while the lyrics get to me and I am put off.
Yeah I stay away from overtly Satanic bands...and most black metal.

I love Opeth... Saw them 2x (my wife even digs em and I took her to see them)

August Burns Red is someone I listen to a lot...they've got a positive set of lyrics.

I am not into metal for its satanic stuff. I enjoy the guys that you can tell put their souls into their music. The guys that use the everyday struggle and pain that we all live through and make it a bit heavier with heart felt solos. Or the guys that can tell stories as good as 300 page books in 5+ minutes.

And for me it is the most complex music there is today. Metal is no joke it's not a joke genre it takes legitimate skill to do some of the stuff some of the guys do with instruments and vocals.

I am not into metal for its satanic stuff. I enjoy the guys that you can tell put their souls into their music. The guys that use the everyday struggle and pain that we all live through and make it a bit heavier with heart felt solos. Or the guys that can tell stories as good as 300 page books in 5+ minutes.

And for me it is the most complex music there is today. Metal is no joke it's not a joke genre it takes legitimate skill to do some of the stuff some of the guys do with instruments and vocals.
Totally. The musical talent of many of these artists is what attracted me to it also.

I play drums so I'm always judging the music based off of the drummer.

Compare Megadeth to Nickelback and tell me which one has better musicians...

I also found the lyrics to be way better too. Go look up Meshuggah "Dancers a Discordant System"

Yeah I stay away from overtly Satanic bands...and most black metal.

I love Opeth... Saw them 2x (my wife even digs em and I took her to see them)

August Burns Red is someone I listen to a lot...they've got a positive set of lyrics.
First Opeth album I listened to was the Steven Wilson-produced Blackwater Park (was a huge fan of Porcupine Tree back in the day). Still probably in my top 5 metal albums, although I admit I am nowhere near a "metalhead".

I've always loved these guys from Norway. Immensely talented band that don't get the recognition they deserve. They get a lot of inspiration from Dream Theater and Van Halen:

I used to listen to metal a lot before my conversion and also played guitar, writing riffs myself. Here are my personal observations now that I (mostly) lost interest in it, and as an Orthodox Christian: my opinion is that the rough sound of metal is harmful to the soul. It's earthly and in a sense carnal, and these primitive and vulgar satanic bands with pounding mess of a sound that involves screaming vocals (because clean vocals would sound absurdly out of place in that setting) are what happens when the form takes over the content in metal.

That is of course not to say all metal is bad. Metal at its best, when it doesn't give in to the temptation of sacrificing melodies for heavy headbanging riffs, is probably one of the most, if not the most, complex genres of non-academic music to this day, as Choppa pointed out above.

When I rate a metal band, I imagine how genuine, fitting and professional it would sound if you'd play it on classical instruments or at least on a clean guitar tone. And I would only listen to it in that manner.

A good example would be classical heavy metal bands. Maybe Metallica and Megadeth out of thrash metal, though definetely not Slayer and Anthrax. Out of the heavier bands, and something I suggest for this thread: the band Death. The man behind the band started with disgusting imagery (hence the name), but later moved on to more mature lyrics and complex technical songwriting. Listen to this cover and compare it to the original:

Back