Meetup Groups

Maddox

Protestant
Heritage
I don't know if any of you have ever been to one of these things, but every time I go I wish I hadn't.

The men there have no social skills at all and 95% of the women are either fat, ugly, or both. Even worse is when the activity requires you to sit down at a table where you are stuck sitting next to the same people for the entire time you're there. At the last event, there was one girl I wanted to talk to who was semi-cute, but of course it was impossible to change seats so she was stuck talking to some dufus on her left and a soy boy to her right. Very frustrating.

I've been to at least 7-8 of these things now and the crowd is the same every time and so is my enjoyment of the event. I seem to have little in common with most of the men and no attraction to the women. So now I go thinking maybe this could be a networking opportunity. However, from now on, I'm only going to ones where we aren't seated. Ugh...

I don't know if any of you have ever been to one of these things, but every time I go I wish I hadn't.

The men there have no social skills at all and 95% of the women are either fat, ugly, or both. Even worse is when the activity requires you to sit down at a table where you are stuck sitting next to the same people for the entire time you're there. At the last event, there was one girl I wanted to talk to who was semi-cute, but of course it was impossible to change seats so she was stuck talking to some dufus on her left and a soy boy to her right. Very frustrating.

I've been to at least 7-8 of these things now and the crowd is the same every time and so is my enjoyment of the event. I seem to have little in common with most of the men and no attraction to the women. So now I go thinking maybe this could be a networking opportunity. However, from now on, I'm only going to ones where we aren't seated. Ugh...

Can't see any point of such "meetups" unless there is a common faith and other interest that all the participants share.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good on you for going to a meetup and persisting, and posting here. IMO forums like CIK and its members greatly benefit from more discussion of real life experiences by its members.

It isnt clear if you are seeking advice or venting or both, as there is no question in your post. May I ask what is your intention for this thread?

If you are open to other perspectives, your answers to the following questions may offer more fruitful discussion and greater insight for yourself:

What general topic is the meetup based on?

How would you rate your interest in this topic?

What are your goals of going there?

Have you discussed the fixed structure (sitting down, no rotations, etc) with the meetup organiser?

Are there other groups that could offer a more engaging common interest, people more aligned with your personality, and/or a better structure/process?

I hope this helps

Good on you for going to a meetup and persisting, and posting here. IMO forums like CIK and its members greatly benefit from more discussion of real life experiences by its members.

It isnt clear if you are seeking advice or venting or both, as there is no question in your post. May I ask what is your intention for this thread?

If you are open to other perspectives, your answers to the following questions may offer more fruitful discussion and greater insight for yourself:

What general topic is the meetup based on?

How would you rate your interest in this topic?

What are your goals of going there?

Have you discussed the fixed structure (sitting down, no rotations, etc) with the meetup organiser?

Are there other groups that could offer a more engaging common interest, people more aligned with your personality, and/or a better structure/process?

I hope this helps
My intention was simply to vent and hopefully get others to share their views of Meetups if they've also gone to these things.

The one I went to was a group to meet new friends in your city.

Funny you mention this topic, I have been looking for some in my local area and although I haven't gone to one yet, your story is very much what I have heard. Perhaps you shouldn't judge them too hard, though. After all, if most of the people you encountered were misfits and weirdos, there is also a good chance you are too - like attracts like. I'm no exception to this rule.
There is a drought of men's friendships in The West these days as men have become atomised to the point of isolation and I think you'll find many are awkward because they have never really been in a position to make friends naturally, hence the need for Meetups and the like. From what you said, you're not exactly a social expert yourself.
Perhaps you're simply there to pull women instead of try and make friends. If that's the case then perhaps you should try other means to meet women.

Back