General Q&A About Christianity/Bible

Christos_NIKA

Orthodox
Heritage
Instead of just posting this to the Orthodox sub-forum, I wanted to hear perspectives from all Christian denominations.

Here's my question: why was OT Israelite tribal descent always traced through the father, while those who follow the rabbinic/pharisaic religion called "Judaism" trace their "authentic jewishness" through the mother? What changed? Why did they flip to the other parent? I think I know the answer, but I want to hear other opinions.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I always assumed that paternity could not be assured, unlike maternity.

Could it be simply an inversion of the truth? Or that Eve, the original woman, gave into temptation and had us cast out of Eden?

My guess is that since the Romans destroyed the 2nd temple, along with all tribal and priestly records, they have no way to legitimately trace their lineage, so like you said, "you always know who the mother is". It's just another way for them to fake being real Judeans/Israelites, since they can't prove it anymore.

Pharisaic tradition. Judaism is patrilineal in Scripture and matrilineal in the Talmud, one of countless Talmudic inversions of the original Jewish faith. Eitan Bar has a great (though Protestant) book on conflicts between the Talmud and the Torah and this is one of the many points mentioned in that book.

Speaking of Talmudic inversions of biblical events, here's a collection of mental gymnastics and lore surrounding Adam & Eve, which ends with Eve being the smarter individual, having actually done what God wanted, by eating the fruit - it includes full timestamps of each event and logs of conversations between God, Adam, and Eve:

Since 1054, is the head of the Catholic Church of Rome legitimate? If not, is there an existing Church operating in the territories led by the Catholic Church of Rome?

I want to know what fellow members thought about this.

Which option do you think is the better path?

The first option is to be a supreme purity man of God like Mihailo Tolotos and his friends on Mount Athos. At first glance this is the ultimate goal of our lives on Earth, to serve God and be the instrument of His will. But after closer look, from a certain point of view it looks that Mihailo and his friends on Mount Athos are actually very selfish people. They worshipped God so their souls can be saved from hell, yet they do not care about other people and events outside their monastery. They do not actively help others to achieve their salvation, or doing other tangible things such as giving alms, giving jobs to people in need or even paying taxes. In real life almost no one know Mihailo and friends, and not every Orthodox even knows them. They spend their entire lives secluded in a mountain doing nothing except praying, and consequently they produced almost nothing.

On the opposite we have men who acts like total assholes, but actually they do God's work to the max.
- Maha Vajiralongkorn: he and his ancestors protected his country and millions of people from colonialism and humiliation. Now his country is an advanced industrialized country where millions lives happily ever after. Yes he looks like a jerk by having multiple wives, concubines and harems, and children from multiple wives. Not to mention his tank top and tattoo. But despite his jerk attitude he bears good fruits in the form of protecting and giving prosperity to millions of people.
- Hassanal Bolkiah: He alongside with his brother, Jefri Bolkiah, lives an extravagant life with multiple car collections, multiple wives and harems. They live like Dan Bilzerian and Tristan Tate. But despite all they successfully led their country to peace and prosperity. So this is far bigger than just giving alms and setting up an orphanage.
- Soekarno: He has at least nine wives. He was a natural alpha and has already practiced game far before it became mainstream. He managed to marry his own former landlord and even managed to marry a hot much younger Japanese woman. He supposedly when blackmailed by KGB with sex tape he thinks of it as a compliment and asked for more copies. Despite his lust he gives freedom to millions of people from colonialism and kicked foreigners out of the country. So a lustful man single-handedly managed to do much more than Mihailo and friends with their spiritual superiority.

This is just a few examples. There are more people like this such as Norodom Sihanouk, Rodrigo Duterte, and even Donald Trump. Men of the bible such as David and Solomon even acts like this.

So what do you think? should we become a spiritually pure person that produce nothing or a person which is not too spiritual but produce good fruits?

Personally I lean towards the latter. I think it is OK if we love hot women as long as we do good deeds. But I'm asking for your opinion in case I made a mistake in judgement.

Your profile says you are Orthodox. Doesn't that answer the question?

Moreover, no one you list in your second option is even nominally Orthodox let alone how hard they may trying to live a life in line with Orthodoxy.

A longer answer would be that even within Orthodoxy, people have different callings and not everyone is expected to attain to the same level of holiness, although we should all try for it. Mount Athos elders will bless soldiers and people who may have to do unpleasant things. But they would not bless PUAs... This isn't a rocket science question.

So what do you think? should we become a spiritually pure person that produce nothing or a person which is not too spiritual but produce good fruits?
You should ask your priest this question. It seems like you are fundamentally wrongheaded simply by the fact that you would even ask this question.

First off a spiritually pure person doesn't produce nothing. Only a materialist would say that. Who is the most pure person in history besides Christ? It is the Blessed Virgin Mother of God. What did her spiritual purity bring? Even on your own terms, she only brought the foundation of Western Civilization into being. Its nonsense to suggest that spiritual purity brings nothing.

The answer is we should strive for purity with an understanding of our flaws. Every man likes hot women. That's why they arent allowed on Athos. Does that mean we give up? No we use our flaws as the basis of humility. God meets us where we are at. He doesn't then say "immediately become absolutely pure". He provides a template for what this looks like and He says "walk with me". Over time and with many falls we start to improve. Men seem to get really stuck on this purity thing. All you have to do is sincerely say "yes" to Christ and get up when you fall. You do not say "nah I'm good, I'll never attain purity and I like it here with the swine anyway"

Pick up your cross bro.

Back