Dogs for both Family Pets and Working Animals

Get2choppaaa

Orthodox
Heritage
Curious what others experience is with dogs as pets and working dogs...

Ive has a lot of different dog breeds growing up, with my folks having golden retrievers, standard poodles, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, ,and a couple of Weimaraners.

I also had a best friend who ran a American Bulldog Kennel... And fell in love with the breed and that's what I've got now.

My stud dog has grown up with all the kids, and is a little over 150 lbs...and a total unit. Super sweet dog and eager to please...he actually serves as the chicken herding dog (unlike my blue healer mix which we can't trust with the birds)

I kept 2 puppies from the last litter.... Had to get rid of the female I bred my stud to... (she was a rescue dog that had a good pedigree but then she bit me and with a boatload of kids here she had to go.) I'll be getting another female this year so I can breed the dogs again in a couple of years.

I saw that the UK just passed a new law that would outlaw Bully XLs (not what I have... But they are classifying all dogs with similar characteristics as the same breed)... And sending them all to Scotland... Which is quite funny.

I had the pleasure of owning two exceptional Australian Shepherds for a time. I got them from a neighbor and friend who couldn't care for them, they were around 2 years old then, and they each lived to 11 years. I had to put the last one down in the summer of '23. A male red merle and a female red tri-color, both full size Aussies.

They were the most loyal, obedient and intelligent dogs I've ever seen. Eventually we got to a point where I could walk down a busy city sidewalk with both of them off leash, and they would follow behind me, right at my side. Even if they were surrounded by distractions that would send other dogs into a frenzy, they remained obedient. I had more control over them just with verbal commands than others had with their ill tempered dogs on leashes. They were bred as working dogs, so they have a special ability to bond and work with people in different situations. Natural herders too if that's what you're looking for.

They also had a real "spark of life" in them, tons of personality, and very expressive for a dog. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find another pair like them. Eventually I'll get another Aussie (or two) when the time is right. I'll see if I can rustle up an old pic of them.

EDIT: A couple pics from when they were young and in their prime. They were well known in my neighborhood. Everyone loved them.

IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_20160327_173236~2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my original stud dog.... he's a little over 150 lbs.

People think he's a service dog (he's not technically) because how well trained he is.

29 inches at the withers, and grew up with all my boys... By far the best dog I've ever had and even by breed standard he's an exceptionally smart dog and a total gentle giant with my little kids.

I added a photo of his little clone puppy that I kept also out of one of my breedings. I often take them both out together on a leash and let them be socialized. Neither are dog aggressive... And love people's attention... But a few times I've had negative interactions with people... And my biggun has instinctually growled or barked at them... Which has kept me out of a couple of bar fights.

IMG_20240105_202547444.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_190145909~2.webp
    IMG_20230923_190145909~2.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I had the pleasure of owning two exceptional Australian Shepherds for a time. I got them from a neighbor and friend who couldn't care for them, they were around 2 years old then, and they each lived to 11 years. I had to put the last one down in the summer of '23. A male red merle and a female red tri-color, both full size Aussies.

They were the most loyal, obedient and intelligent dogs I've ever seen. Eventually we got to a point where I could walk down a busy city sidewalk with both of them off leash, and they would follow behind me, right at my side. Even if they were surrounded by distractions that would send other dogs into a frenzy, they remained obedient. I had more control over them just with verbal commands than others had with their ill tempered dogs on leashes. They were bred as working dogs, so they have a special ability to bond and work with people in different situations. Natural herders too if that's what you're looking for.

They also had a real "spark of life" in them, tons of personality, and very expressive for a dog. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find another pair like them. Eventually I'll get another Aussie (or two) when the time is right. I'll see if I can rustle up an old pic of them.

EDIT: A couple pics from when they were young and in their prime. They were well known in my neighborhood. Everyone loved them.

View attachment 3444
View attachment 3443
These dogs are gorgeous. I've never seen that coloring on Aussies with the red merle.

Wife is into blue heelers and we got what we thought was a heeler from a lady locally for free... Turned out to be a heeler pit mix...you get what you pay for.... became evident as she matured and went after the birds ECT in the yard.

How'd these dogs do in heat? I know they're really exceptionally smart...

Dogs mark the era of life for me. The Aussie shepherd we had as a kid (very similar to Mountainaire's left dog). Those are indeed super companions. The yippie dog ex-wife wanted when we were in a tiny condo. The runt cocker spaniel that my sons were raised with and that we euthanized last summer at 17. She was sweet and gentle but was a prolific bird-killer in her youth. She was so quiet/stealthy - not just in stalking birds. She would sneak out the door, trail in my blind spot, then jump in the truck as soon as that door opened - the rascal! Great travel companion.

Now, I picked up a new dog - some kind of a collie. She needs training, but it will take in time. She's bright and is obedient during trail walks. She should make it deep into my sixties - geez.

My 80+ year old parents have an elderly dog now also. The dog has health problems, and my folks are preparing for the end. Mom says "no more." Dad says "2 more, everyone needs a buddy!" I would rather they not, just for one less trip hazard. But I know the old man, he's going to get another dog.:)

My 80+ year old parents have an elderly dog now also. The dog has health problems, and my folks are preparing for the end. Mom says "no more." Dad says "2 more, everyone needs a buddy!" I would rather they not, just for one less trip hazard. But I know the old man, he's going to get another dog.:)
My folks have always picked eccentric dogs.

Their last standard poodles died this last year. They are both early 70s.

Dad has me searching for a reputable Doberman breeder and Mom is in denial.

I personally think it's good for them... But you're absolutely right the type of dog makes an era.

When I'm 65 or 70 I'll be done with the bulldogs. I'll still want a killer dog... So I'll get into bull terriers or patterdales.

These dogs are gorgeous. I've never seen that coloring on Aussies with the red merle.

Wife is into blue heelers and we got what we thought was a heeler from a lady locally for free... Turned out to be a heeler pit mix...you get what you pay for.... became evident as she matured and went after the birds ECT in the yard.

How'd these dogs do in heat? I know they're really exceptionally smart...
They were both spayed and neutered by the time I got them. They weren't litter mates, but they came from the same line.

+1 on the "marking an era" thing. Those two just came into my life at the perfect time, I wasn't even looking for a dog at the time. But we had many good years together and I ended up becoming good friends with their former family.

I imagine the next one(s) will come into my life in a similar way, when the time is right.

What are people's recommendations for a family dog for first time dog owners? My wife and I have been strongly considering taking the plunge. Have a 3 and 5 yr old so that would need to be taken into account. Unfortunately, we moved last summer and due to incredibly low inventory who don't have a lawn in our backyard anymore. But we plan on looking for more space as options open up. However plenty of outdoor parks/trails/hiking which was a reason we moved where we did.

Most recommended to use is a lab. My wife in particular doesn't want something too big.

What are people's recommendations for a family dog for first time dog owners? My wife and I have been strongly considering taking the plunge. Have a 3 and 5 yr old so that would need to be taken into account. Unfortunately, we moved last summer and due to incredibly low inventory who don't have a lawn in our backyard anymore. But we plan on looking for more space as options open up. However plenty of outdoor parks/trails/hiking which was a reason we moved where we did.

Most recommended to use is a lab. My wife in particular doesn't want something too big.
Golden retriever or a lab is what I'd do... All dogs in their puppy phases are kinda a pain, but goldens were great growing up.

Also Standard Poodles (not miniature or toy poodle) we're good growing up.

Both are medium dots (80 lbs or less) and generally fairly healthy by disposition.

Goldens are very easy to train, very willing to please, and great outdoor dogs for hiking and trails and all of that.

Personally I am not s fan of neutering males...but females probably need to be spayed for obvious considerations regarding attracting other dogs.

I'm not sure about having Belgian Malinois around small children, but when I "retire" to the woods in 3 years I plan on taking a breeding pack of them with me. Malinois require a lot of time and energy to train but they are very sturdy and thus have one of the lowest lifetime vet bills. They often live until 14 years of age and can still be very effective as working dogs up through their 10th year (unlike German Shepherds which are plagued with hip problems and are usually retired in their 7th year). Needless to say Malinois are also one of the smartest breeds.

I'm not sure about having Belgian Malinois around small children, but when I "retire" to the woods in 3 years I plan on taking a breeding pack of them with me. Malinois require a lot of time and energy to train but they are very sturdy and thus have one of the lowest lifetime vet bills. They often live until 14 years of age and can still be very effective as working dogs up through their 10th year (unlike German Shepherds which are plagued with hip problems and are usually retired in their 7th year). Needless to say Malinois are also one of the smartest breeds.
I have a buddy who had one. Smart dog but needed a whole lot of attention.

Would not recommend for first time owners but good for an experienced owner.

Best (and smartest) dog I ever had was half Rottweiler and 25% each GSD and Malinois.

View attachment 3444
View attachment 3443
Impressive that they were so well trained.

I had a tenant with a young Aussie Shepherd. It was smart and energetic, but so smart it would whine nonstop for attention. It became quite the source of tension between us and I eventually kicked him out. I remember him saying it was a "working animal, not a pet" and I just thought, "working animals including horses are not allowed inside the house".

Kudos to you for raising them well, it must have been a ton of work. Boy do those dogs have boundless energy.

Impressive that they were so well trained.

I had a tenant with a young Aussie Shepherd. It was smart and energetic, but so smart it would whine nonstop for attention. It became quite the source of tension between us and I eventually kicked him out. I remember him saying it was a "working animal, not a pet" and I just thought, "working animals including horses are not allowed inside the house".

Kudos to you for raising them well, it must have been a ton of work. Boy do those dogs have boundless energy.
Yeah, I took them everywhere. They always had something to do, even if it was looking after a girlfriends dog on a hike, or chasing a tennis ball at the park. They don't do well being left alone. They get stir crazy and find ways to get into trouble.

If you can provide them with the level of activity they need and set boundaries for what is acceptable behavior, that's the type of environment they thrive in.

20170122_084550_HDR.webp

Border collies are fantastic if you have a bit of room for them to run and something for them to do. We use ours for herding livestock. Very intelligent and expressive dogs, they learn quick too.

My SO had a small chihuahua mix that was an absolute sweet heart. No idea what it is mixed with, good for companionship and that's about it. Friendly though.

Some of my relatives have had pitbulls in the past and nothing good came out of that. All the neighbor dogs that would come and maul livestock or kill horses were also pitbulls or packs of dogs with at least two pits.

Sorry to bring negativity to this thread, but God did not create dogs.
In recent years I have developed a real disdain for these ugly, stupid mutts and the fascination that modern culture has with these disgusting, loud, smelly, gluttonous, sickly chimeras. These "animals" have been damaged beyond belief, through endless cross breeding and incest.

I can understand using some less damaged breeds as work animals, for example if you own a lot of sheep or live in a farm.

Sorry, for the rant.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring negativity to this thread, but God did not create dogs.
In recent years I have developed a real disdain for these ugly, stupid mutts and the fascination that modern culture has with these disgusting, loud, smelly, gluttonous, sickly chimeras. These "animals" have been damaged beyond belief, through endless cross breeding and incest.

I especially despise urban dog ladies idolizing their small, demonic mutts and drawing emotional support from them. It's pathetic.
I can understand using some less damaged breeds as work animals, for example if you own a lot of sheep or live in a farm.

Sorry, for the rant.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the lap dogs ect...but this thread is focused on family pets and working dogs.

Yappers do serve a utility also. Scotties/Cairn terriers for isntance are total pest dominators if you let them out and chase moles/rates/ect...

Did God not create pigs? Are Pigs not domesticated animals? Are Cows not domestic animas ect....

Yeah I'm not a fan of the lap dogs ect...but this thread is focused on family pets and working dogs.

Yappers do serve a utility also. Scotties/Cairn terriers for isntance are total pest dominators if you let them out and chase moles/rates/ect...

Did God not create pigs? Are Pigs not domesticated animals? Are Cows not domestic animas ect....
Yes, cows and pigs are domesticated but nowhere near as deformed as dogs are. They actually look and behave very similar to their wild counterparts. Dogs don't resemble anything, except maybe huskies, which are meant to be work animals and not pets.

I guess I hate pet culture. I have no problem with work dogs and I may use one in the near future for hunting and guarding the farm. But I will never treat it as a pet. The thought of allowing an animal in my house, let alone on my bed is completely foreign to me.

Yes, cows and pigs are domesticated but nowhere near as deformed as dogs are. They actually look and behave very similar to their wild counterparts. Dogs don't resemble anything, except maybe huskies, which are meant to be work animals and not pets.

I guess I hate pet culture. I have no problem with work dogs and I may use one in the near future for hunting and guarding the farm. But I will never treat it as a pet. The thought of allowing an animal in my house, let alone on my bed is completely foreign to me.
Drive on then my friend.... I know lots of bulldoggers who keep dogs on chain, but good luck with not getting your nuts ripped off if you dont socialize them appropriately.

Back