Bible Commentary

GodfatherPartTwo

Protestant
Heritage
Numbers 11:26 But two men had remained in the camp; the name of one was Eldad and the name of the other Medad. And the Spirit rested upon them (now they were among those who had been registered, but had not gone out to the tent), and they prophesied in the camp. 27So a young man ran and told Moses and said, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” 28Then Joshua the son of Nun, the attendant of Moses from his youth, said, “Moses, my lord, restrain them.” 29But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the people of Yahweh were prophets, that Yahweh would put His Spirit upon them!” 30Then Moses returned to the camp, both he and the elders of Israel.
Like all of the Old Testament books, Numbers was given it's title when it was translated in the Septuagint, the Greek Translation of the Old Testament. The original Hebrew title is 'In the Wilderness'. Here we see a reference to the Holy Spirit and the gift of prophecy. In verse 29, Moses says he wishes that all of God's people possessed the Holy Spirit, something that would come to be fulfilled in the New Covenant, but was not yet a present reality under the Mosaic Covenant.

James 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith; and I have works. Show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? 21Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected. 23And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS COUNTED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called the friend of God. 24You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
Unfortunately, James 2 is sometimes applied in a way that would contradict Paul, who says that Justification is by faith and not by works of the Law, or by works done in righteousness. It should be recognized that when the Reformers coined Sola Fide, Justification by Faith Alone, what they meant was that on the condition of faith alone, one receives saving grace, or that good works could only be called good if they are done in faithfulness to God. But as there is one Divine Author who spoke all of Scripture, it would be reckless to believe that He contradicted Himself as He inspired both Apostles. Both Apostles teach that faith is a gift from God, and if one has faith, he will perform good works as a result. He will bear fruit, in other words.

The rest of James bears this out, as in chapter 1, he says that prayers are only efficacious if they are done in faith:
5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6But he must ask in faith, doubting nothing, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Every good thing and perfect gift, such as faith, is given by God, as well as God's Will being the agent that brought us forth:
17Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. 18In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be a kind of first fruits among His creatures.

He also uses election, choosing language in the earlier part of James 2:
5Listen, my beloved brothers: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

And so when James says that we are not justified by faith alone, he is not saying that we must earn God's grace with good works, he is saying that good works will result from true faith, which are all results of God's act of justifying us.

Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.

Genesis 3:21 Then Yahweh God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and He clothed them.
It is Good Friday today, the day that the Lord Jesus Christ shed His precious blood to atone for the sins of the Church, once for all time. And so it feels appropriate to ponder His sacrifice and one of the shadows that typified it in the very first book of the Bible. The Garden of Eden was a temple, it was the place where Heaven and Earth intersected. When Man rebelled and fell into sin, breaking the Covenant and failing to carry out the commission that God gave him, he was expelled from the Garden and placed under the curses of the Covenant. And when they realized their guilt, they made an attempt to cover up their shame with fig leaves. However, they could not cover up their shame, so God made them a garment out of animal skins. Here we see God acting as a Priest on their behalf and making Atonement for them. Even when they had well deserved His anger, He showed them mercy. It is a beautiful picture and it points forward to the New Jerusalem, where all of God's people are clothed in white garments, that have been washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Last edited:
Psalm 2:7 “I will surely tell of the decree of Yahweh: He said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. 8 Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth as Your possession.
Many of the errors regarding the Trinity come from viewing it through philosophical lenses that come from the culture, you see this occur much in Church history. But while some of those definitions can be helpful to our understanding, it should be noted that the Bible presents the Trinity through a covenantal lens first and foremost. The Trinity is inherently covenantal, interpersonal. The Father loves the Son and Spirit, the Son loves the Father and Spirit, The Spirit loves the Father and Son. And before Creation was, this Covenant of Redemption was decreed; that God would create the cosmos and redeem a people for Himself, a people of His own choosing. The Church is the outworking and result of the covenantal nature of God. The Father begets (not creates) the Son, the Son asks, the Father gives the Creation to the Son, the Son redeems it, and at the end of time, the Son gives the Creation to the Father. All three persons of the Trinity take on different roles, or offices, in this plan of redemption.

Romans 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about—but not before God! 3For what does the Scripture say? “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS COUNTED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 4Now to the one who works, his wage is not counted according to grace, but according to what is due. 5But to the one who does not work, but believes upon Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, 6just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: 7 “BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. 8 BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.” 9 Therefore, is this blessing on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, “FAITH WAS COUNTED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 10How then was it counted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised.
Romans 4 is helpful to compare with James 2 as both Apostles are exegeting the same passage, Genesis 15:6. It is often asserted that the justification that James 2 is speaking of is concerned with men, but not justification before God. Romans 4:2-3 says this very thing, and James 2:18-19 also reveals this intent:
James 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith; and I have works. Show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”

God's act of declaring/accounting/imputing us as righteous in His sight is prior to any works that we perform in faith. It is absolutely legal language that Paul is speaking in.
Verse 4, Paul gives his definition for what Grace is. It is not a substance that is infused into us, but it is God's disposition towards His Elect. A person works a job, his employer owes him a paycheck, it is not a free gift. But the grace of God is a free gift. His Grace cannot be earned, otherwise it cannot be called Grace, not according to the Apostle's definition anyway.
Verse 5, the Grace of God is His declaring as righteous, justifying, ungodly people who have not earned, in themselves, this righteous status before God.
Again, as also in James, the emphasis is on faith alone being the instrument that enables us to receive God's Grace, His act of justification, His act of accounting us as righteous. But James' emphasis is concerned with the good works that result from faith, whereas Paul is focusing on the Grace that precedes faith.

Last edited:
1 Timothy 5:17 The elders who lead well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor at preaching the word and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE IT IS THRESHING,” and “THE LABORER IS WORTHY OF HIS WAGES.”
This is a useful text that shows that your preachers should be compensated for their work, that we should tithe. But my main interest here is what Paul considers to be Scripture, as his citations give us insight into what he considered to be Canonical.

His first citation is from Deuteronomy 25:4: You shall not muzzle the ox while it is threshing. But his second citation is from the Gospel of Luke, 10:7: Stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages.

Jesus is making the same application that Paul is; that ministers of the Gospel are worthy of compensation. But Paul citing Luke as Scripture is most interesting.

Liberal scholarship places the composition of the Pauline Epistles prior to 70AD, and the composition of the Gospels to after 70AD. But if this is true, then how can Paul cite from one of the Gospels? The problem is compounded if you follow the liberal scholarship's sequence of the Gospels' composition: Mark, then Matthew, then Luke, then John. I don't see much reason to doubt this sequence, but this sequence gives me even more reason to doubt that the Gospels were written after 70AD, given Paul's familiarity with Luke. More can be said about his familiarity with the other Gospels and the other books of the New Testament Canon.

And so bottom line, there is every reason to believe that the Gospels were written very early (which also means that Jesus was truly a Prophet, not that His words were made up by the Apostles after the destruction of the temple in 70AD), close to the time that they describe, and that they were familiar to the Church in the Apostolic Age.

Last edited:
Revelation 20:1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. 2And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were finished. After these things he must be released for a short time.
Much can be said about eschatology and I think it wise to be humble in this area, as I am not convinced that anyone has nailed it down. Nevertheless, I am still inclined towards premillennialism and will give my reasons, based on these texts, why I remain unconvinced of postmillennialism. Postmillennialism being these ideas; 1. That Christ returns after this 1,000 period (hence the name, postmillennialism). 2.That this 1,000 year period is not a literal 1,000 years, but a figurative number representing this current age, the Church Age. And that Christ is reigning through the Church right now. 3. That the Church will ebb and flow in power, size, and influence until it evangelizes the world, prompting the return of Christ. Postmillennialism is sometimes referred to as an "optimistic" eschatology whereas premillennialism is referred to as "pessimistic." A charge I find to be unfair.

Proponents of postmillennialism deny many of the premillennial concepts, such as the reign of the Antichrist, the Great Tribulation, the Rapture, etc. They usually point out that the Church has only grown since it's founding, and that it will only keep growing, despite the difficulties.

Here is where I take issue with it on a textual basis, if this is the 1,000 year reign right now, then Satan is currently bound right now, he no longer is able to deceive the nations. But what does Paul say?
2 Corinthians 4:3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4in whose case the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your slaves for the sake of Jesus.
The god of this age (eon), the devil, has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so that they might not see the truth of the Gospel. Does that sound like Satan is currently bound and no longer able to deceive the nations?

Revelation 20:7 And when the thousand years are finished, Satan will be released from his prison, 8and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore. 9And they came up on the abroad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
But after the 1,000 years are over, Satan is still released for a time. So even in a postmillennial schema, the Great Tribulation seems to be unavoidable.

Premillennialism is not above it's fair share of criticisms as well and so I try not to be dogmatic on these issues, but these passages leave little room for me to be a postmillennialist. At the end of the day, Christ will return bodily, and His kingdom will know no end. Whether that happens in the premillennial, postmillennial, or other schema, it will happen according to God's Will and it will rebound to His Glory.

Last edited:
Exodus 33:18 Then Moses said, “I pray You, show me Your glory!” 19And He said, “I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of Yahweh before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will show compassion on whom I will show compassion.”
Exodus 34:5 Then Yahweh descended in the cloud and stood there with him, and He called upon the name of Yahweh. 6Then Yahweh passed by in front of him and called out, “Yahweh, Yahweh God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression, and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.”
Mark 6:47 And when it was evening, the boat was in the middle of the sea, and He was alone on the land. 48And seeing them straining at the oars, for the wind was against them, at about the fourth watch of the night He *came to them, walking on the sea; and He was intending to pass by them. 49But when they saw Him walking on the sea, they thought that it was a ghost, and cried out; 50for they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke with them and *said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.” 51Then He got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped; and they were utterly amazed, 52for they had not gained any insight about the loaves, but their heart was hardened.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.
Grammatically, this can be understood in one of two ways: if anyone loves the world the Father does not love him, or if anyone loves the world he does not love the Father. Either way, if you love the world then you're out. But I favor the latter reading. If you're loving the world, then you don't have enough room to love the Father. The reason you love the world is because you're seeking the things of the world in verse 16. These things are not from the Father. Thus, you do not love the Father because you are seeking the things that He does not give, but what the world gives.

I also find it to be more consistent with how John closes this epistle:
1 John 5:21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.
Anything that you love outside of God, or more than God, or apart from God is an idol. The things of the world are idols. Do not love the idols but love God instead.

On the question of eternal security, whether a true believer in Christ can trust that he is saved in Christ or not (eternal insecurity):

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, in Your name did we not prophesy, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name do many miracles?’ 23And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’
The false believers here cling to their works, they do not appeal to faith in Jesus Christ. They say that they practice miracles and prophecy but God says that they practice lawlessness. Lastly, Jesus says to them "I never knew you." Not, "I knew you until you left." "I never knew you."

This is not to deny apostasy, but it is to deny the idea that God loses any of His sheep. Compare this passage with John 10:
John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
Who does Jesus know in this passage? His sheep. Who does He lay down His life for in this passage? The sheep. If Jesus knows His sheep, then how can anyone of His sheep ever hear the words "I never knew you"? Biblically, they can't.

How does this:
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Become this:
Romans 10:10 With the heart a person believes, leading to righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, leading to salvation.

Or accomplish this:
Matthew 23:37 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

It needs this:
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

And this:
Ezekiel 36:26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to do My judgments.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, so that He might bring you to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal of a good conscience to God—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him.
I had a good discussion with a Catholic friend of mine over this text, on whether or not it teaches Baptismal Regeneration.

Here is John Calvin's commentary on how our Baptism corresponds to Noah's Ark (and verse 18 I would add):
As Noah, then, obtained life through death, when in the ark, he was enclosed not otherwise than as it were in the grave, and when the whole world perished, he was preserved together with his small family; so at this day, the death which is set forth in baptism, is to us an entrance into life, nor can salvation be hoped for, except we be separated from the world.
In other words, Baptism presents a symbol of death and rebirth. Verse 18, Christ died in the flesh but was made alive in the Spirit. Noah "died" as he was sealed in the Ark, only to live after the flood. In Baptism, our old selves are put to death and our new selves our raised to spiritual life. That is the thing that the sign of water Baptism points to, death and resurrection in Jesus Christ.

It's also interesting to note that 8 persons passed through the flood in verse 20. The baptismal font is traditionally octagonal in shape, having eight sides. 8 is significant as it is the number of New Creation. 7 being the completion, but 8 being the New Beginning.

Verse 21, "not the removal of dirt from the flesh" refers to the water. "But an appeal of a good conscience to God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" refers to the spiritual reality of regeneration. It is not the sign that saves you, but the thing that the sign points to that saves you. The error of Baptismal Regeneration is that it limits the efficacy of Baptism to the sign. Rather, the sign can only be efficacious if it has the "thing" that the sign points to. Or to put it another way, Baptismal Regeneration gets it backwards, as it places the physical sign of water before the spiritual thing of regeneration. In effect, the water becomes the thing, and regeneration itself becomes the sign pointing to the water.

Last edited:
Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”
Satan is the original liberal. He takes liberalities with the Word of God. Did God really say that homosexuality is sinful? Did God really say that Scripture is sufficient? Did God really say that Jesus is the only way to be saved? Yes, yes He did.

Genesis 3:2 And the woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat 3but from the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God said, ‘You shall not eat from it, and you shall not touch it, lest you die.’ ”
Man has a tendency to add to the Word of God. God did not prohibit touching the fruit, only the eating of it. There is no reason to add to the Word unless you do not believe the Word is sufficient to ground you to stand fast in the day of trial, which is the same error that Adam and Eve made. The Word must not be detracted from or added to, it is perfect as is.

Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 5For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
Adam and Eve may not have died a physical death the same day they ate the fruit, but the Word of God cannot be broken, they did die a spiritual death that day. And so while it looks like the devil was the one telling the truth and God was the one lying, the opposite is true, we should not trust our eyes but trust the Word of God. God always tells the truth, the devil always lies. Ultimately, Man fell for the same lie that the devil fell for, that he can be like God, but there is no one like God.

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.
One of my all time favorite passages from the Bible.

Here is a bit of Luther's commentary on this passage:
Faith connects you so intimately with Christ, that He and you become as it were one person. As such you may boldly say: "I am now one with Christ. Therefore Christ's righteousness, victory, and life are mine." On the other hand, Christ may say: "I am that big sinner. His sins and his death are mine, because he is joined to me, and I to him."
What jumped out at me was his doctrine of Double Imputation, and I quickly realized why non-Reformed Christians do not grasp the doctrine of Imputed Righteousness: they do not have the covenantal framework to make sense of it. Infused Righteousness goes only one way, but Imputed Righteousness is only one half of the covenantal transaction. Christ takes the sinner's sin and penalty onto Himself, and He gives His righteousness to the sinner. He dies for the enemy and justifies the ungodly. Such is the awesome power of the grace of God, that He would covenant with sinners like you and me.

Back